Findlay reservoirs 1 and 2 are up-ground reservoirs. Water is pumped from the adjacent Blanchard River into reservoir 2.
Reservoir 1 was built in 1950 by the City of Findlay as a municipal water supply. It has a surface area of 186 acres and a capacity of 1.4 billion gallons. The bottom is relatively flat with depths ranging from 20 to 28 feet and an average depth of 24 feet. There is little aquatic vegetative cover.
Reservoir 2 was built in 1968 as the first upground reservoir completed under the Northwest Ohio Water Development Plan. It was built to provide water to the City of Findlay, low flow augmentation to the Blanchard River, and water for agricultural uses and recreation. Reservoir 2 was built cooperatively by the City of Findlay and Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Its surface area of 645 acres and capacity of approximately 5 billion gallons make it the largest upground reservoir in Ohio. The bottom is relatively flat but has considerably more variation than Reservoir 1 with depths ranging from 16 to 33 feet and an average depth of 24 feet. The maximum depth is in the conservation pool, which covers 25 percent of the reservoir of approximately 160 acres.
Findlay Reservoir 1 has 2 miles of diked shoreline, and Findlay Reservoir 2 has 4.3 miles of diked shoreline. These reservoirs share a common dike about 1 mile long. The distance around the outside perimeter of the combined reservoirs is 5.3 miles. These reservoirs were built with earthen dikes that are approximately 12 feet wide at the top with 2:1 side slopes. The insides of the dikes are covered with limestone riprap to protect them from wind and wave damage.
Both reservoirs are open to public fishing through a cooperative agreement between the City of Findlay and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife. The reservoirs also have walking trails around the diked shoreline. For more information about permissible activities, please review the Reservoir Rules.