The City of Findlay is a participant in the Nation Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Any property within the City is eligible to have a flood policy either through the NFIP or a private carrier.

Any activity within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) is required to have a Flood Development Permit before the activity begins. Specific development requirements may apply. These activities include, but are not limited to, grading, new construction, and improvements or alterations to existing structures.

All damages sustained to any structure within the SFHA must be reported to the Zoning Department so a damage assessment can be made and a permit can be issued. Please contact us if your structure has sustained any damage as a result of any flood, fire, wind damage, or other calamity.

Our office will gladly assist you in determining if your property is within a particular flood zone or if there are any mitigation measures that can be taken to reduce the risk of flood damage to structures on your property.  You can also determine if your property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area by using the Hancock County Auditor maps.


Flood Damage Reduction Code-Chapter 1351

Substantially Damaged Properties